“May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi!”
In the days of Jesus, a young boy would leave his family at the age of 14 or 15, and follow one Rabbi. Before he would leave his parents, they would wish him well, by speaking the words above. The ideas behind these words were simple, yet spoke volumes.
You see; the young boy was expected to walk, in the footsteps of the Rabbi. How? In the steps of the Rabbi, would be walking behind the rabbi, speaking as he was taught, and doing as he was shown. Somewhere on this journey, the boy would become a Rabbi.
It made me wonder what people do now, that is this committed.
- Family – among my daughter’s classmates, there have been two divorces, this year, due to affairs. I don’t know the circumstances behind their family dynamics, but both mothers are dating/living with other men.
- As a CASA (Court-Appointed Special Advocate) I witness families on a near-daily basis which are desperately in need of help. They don’t want the help, but due to their chosen behavior, they have placed not only themselves in danger, but their children.
- Just recently the star football/basketball hero at our school was verbally inappropriate with my daughter. She turned him into the principal. The principal assured us that he had taken severe measures with the boy. The boy has since left my child alone, but he hasn’t missed a game or school as a result.
- In Africa, the people are pushing for the laws to be changed so the age of consent for a girl to have sex, is twelve.
- A woman can escape from her captives (if she is lucky), but some countries will not prosecute the men who stole her life away, with lies and trickery.
- I once watched a show about a man who adopted a girl from Russia, to have her as his sex slave. Didn’t Liberace do the same thing with a boy in foster care?
- In my own town, I regularly observer children unsuitably dressed for the weather.
- A mother was told her daughter needed a better diet. The diet she is currently on is causing some problems with the child’s development. Her response: “I know I should watch what she eats, but…
- Most children today, are learning to believe nothing is as important as they are.
Some of these situations are far worse than others, but each carries significant weight in the destruction of our family core.
When a parent has an affair, we become absorbed with that relationship. This is one of the blessings of marriage. In a marriage, there may not be the wild, abandoned sex, but there is stability in the home. Both parents must be committed to each other, to be committed to the family. I understand, after 30 years of being with the same man, this isn’t always easy or fun – but the rewards are far greater than the downfalls.
It is surprising to me, when a woman tells me she is a “great” mom, who will never make the mistakes with her children, her parents made in raising her. This woman, has been in jail, and her children have each bin in foster care, multiple times. Another mother told me her two-year-old son had never seen her using drugs because she was “using” in another room. However, she was turned in for kicking her child while changing his diaper. She denies this ever happened. She told me she would remember since she wasn’t very “high,” at the time.
Sex trafficking, child pornography and “brotherly love” is so rampant across the world, and some of the abusers are frequently those very people we entrust to protect our children. Those countries most prevalent for this trade, are benefiting financially. Surprisingly, these persons, in command, often have families of their own.
Parenting is tough! Most of us are so busy trying to make the money fill a box, when we only have enough to fill our wallets. Job demands tend to take over our day-to-day thought. Housekeeping either becomes an obsession, or is left lie. When your child refuses to eat the home-cooked meal you’ve prepared for them, and then beg for McDonald’s, it is easy to give in. Who wants their child to be hungry? How many times do I see one of my kids’ classmates walking around the football stadium with a T-shirt and shorts in 40 degree temperatures? I know many parents that smoke, but the band boosters are supplying money to their kids. If we didn’t, that child would go hungry.
Children today believe the way to show your love for them, is allowing them to have the newest and latest gadget, outfit, car, phone, or money to go and do as their friends are. We pander to them, so they won’t be left out.
It is time the world raised a family to believe in something greater than ourselves. Compassion, self-restraint, service, sacrifice, education, and morality are the foundation of a good soul. Finding parents that are selfless, willing to place God at the head of their family, teaching the value of all life, and applying restraint when their child wants to make choices we wish to ignore, is rare – or, maybe, impossible.
As your children journey forward, my words to champion them:
“May the dust of your forefathers, be your reminder for tomorrow.”
As for me, I think…I still have much to learn.